As the Virginia Mercury writes, “a clearer picture is emerging” of Virginia GOP gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin. Spoiler alert: it’s not a pretty sight. Despite his campaign still having no issues page on its website, in recent weeks Youngkin has been exposed for running on Donald Trump’s far-right agenda while hoping the voters of Virginia don’t find out.
According to Virginia Mercury:
The bigger problem is the lack of candor and specificity Youngkin has displayed so far. Virginians deserve to know how he would wield power before Nov. 2 – not after. They already know how his Democratic opponent would do things.
So far, Youngkin has proposed new regulations on voting despite fraud being “virtually nonexistent,” has argued it was a “sad thing” that Virginia expanded Medicaid, called President Biden’s American Rescue Plan “unnecessary,” and behind closed doors told campaign donors he would defund planned parenthood and ban abortion.
No wonder Glenn Youngkin is dodging debates…
Virginia Mercury: A clear picture is emerging of Glenn Youngkin
By: Roger Chelsey | July 14, 2021
- “You get the sense this is no accident, that the candidate and his campaign would prefer to spout pithy platitudes – “We need a new type of governor to bring a new day in Virginia” — than be locked down on specific policies. In one television ad, he doesn’t even identify which party he represents.”
- “Go to Youngkin’s campaign website, and there’s no ‘Glenn’s Stand on the Issues,’ or something similar. (My email to the campaign on this obvious absence wasn’t returned.) The lack of details is extremely odd for a newcomer who hopes to lead 8.5 million Virginians”
- “The commonwealth has turned bluer over the past decade, and what Youngkin is selling might not find as receptive an audience if Virginians knew more about him.”
- “At times, though, he’s unequivocal. Youngkin said earlier this year it was ‘a sad thing’ that Medicaid was expanded in Virginia under the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.”
- “‘I’m not a politician,’ Youngkin says on his campaign’s website. He’s sure acting like one. That much is clear.”
Read the full report here.