“Locked in a divisive primary, Dean Heller is campaigning like a Trump true believer, but he won’t even go to a meeting with Trump on something as important as gun violence prevention. This was his opportunity to try to prevent another tragedy like the one in Las Vegas from happening — but Dean Heller is too spineless to advocate for the safety of Nevadans,” said American Bridge spokesperson Joshua Karp. “Nevadans will remember this failure at the ballot box.
By Steve Peoples | March 4, 2018
- “They crowded around the White House conference table this past week, lawmakers from California, Connecticut, Texas and Florida, eager to share their state’s painful experience with gun violence. One key state was not represented…The office of Nevada’s senior senator, Republican Dean Heller, would not say why did he did not attend the White House meeting.”
- “Heller, who is facing a tough re-election fight, has avoided the spotlight in the subsequent days as well, declining to address specifics about his positions on gun legislation.”
- “The White House did not respond to requests for comment about whether Heller was invited to the event.”
- “Heller spokeswoman Megan Taylor declined to say whether the senator supported universal background checks, raising the age for gun purchases to 21, or provisions to ban high-capacity magazines and assault rifles, all ideas tossed out by lawmakers or President Donald Trump in recent days.”
- “Heller’s muted response at an extraordinary moment highlights the weight of his political predicament.”
Read the full story here.