Today Martha McSally’s home district newspaper the Arizona Daily Star endorsed her opponent in a major snub. The Daily Star endorsed McSally back in 2016, calling her a “strong, smart and pragmatic representative.” These days? Not so much. Read on below to see what they had to say about McSally’s extreme shift rightward.
Arizona Daily Star: Star Opinion: Kyrsten Sinema for the U.S. Senate
October 18, 2018
- “The race to represent Arizona in the U.S. Senate is one of the most watched in the country, with good reason.”
- “Martha McSally’s Arizona follows the Trump agenda, embraces tax cuts for the wealthy, values veterans, wants a border wall, seeks to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and is itching for a fight on trade, tariffs, immigration, foreign relations and the environment.”
- “We have found her determined march to the political right, and her alignment with President Trump, alarming.”
- “In her quest for a Senate seat, gone is the McSally who supported a bipartisan approach to immigration reform and who portrayed herself as an independent thinker (although she voted with Trump 97 percent of the time).”
- “McSally has avoided unscripted public appearances, preferring to meet with selected groups at job sites or other controlled-access situations — a pattern we find troubling because it excludes contact with most of her constituents.”
- “More than a month ago, the Arizona Daily Star’s editorial board invited McSally and Sinema for an endorsement interview. Sinema accepted, McSally’s campaign did not.“
Read the full story here.