So better chug whatever Bailey’s you’ve got left in your corn flakes, Reince, because the time has come for you and the rest of the Republican Party — yes, even the #NeverTrumpers — to get on board the Trump Train and unite behind Donald Trump as your party’s nominee.
American Bridge President Jessica Mackler made the following statement on tonight’s GOP primary result in Indiana:
“Donald Trump has at every turn disqualified himself from being commander in chief. And yet, he’s consolidated the GOP into the Party of Trump, actively promoting a platform of alienation and division. It’s a lose-lose situation, but Republicans only have themselves — and their months of Trump-enabling — to blame.”
Here’s a quick recap of what the GOP is embracing in selecting Donald Trump as its standard bearer :
- Unapologetic misogyny;
- “Punishment” for women who get abortions and a hardline opposition to funding women’s health programs;
- Inflammatory anti-immigrant rhetoric and advocacy of the forcible deportation of 11 million undocumented immigrants;
- Abhorrent xenophobic fear-mongering;
- Hawkish and amateurish foreign policy;
- Tax plans that cost trillions and disproportionately boost the top 1%;
- Climate change denial;
- Proposals that threaten seniors and future retirees earned benefits; and,
- Refusals to give hardworking Americans a raise.
One final note to any vulnerable down-ballot Republicans who think they can distance themselves from Trump by skipping the Republican National Convention: Not a chance. Donald Trump is your nominee and there’s nothing you can do about it.