“Rick Scott only looks out for himself and his cronies, giving well-paying taxpayer-funded jobs to unqualified political allies. Now, Rick Scott is replacing a seasoned veteran of emergency management with a 29-year-old former campaign aide. The only thing he’s qualified to manage is political damage control — or maybe angry mattress customers,” said American Bridge spokesperson Joshua Karp.
Miami Herald: After Irma, Scott replaces head of emergency operations with political operative
By Mary Ellen Klas, Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau | September 26, 2017
- “Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday announced the abrupt departure of the head of the state Department of Emergency Management, Bryan Koon, and replaced him with Scott’s former campaign aide and Republican Party of Florida operative, Wes Maul, who has just over a year of emergency operations experience.”
- “Maul, 29, will be promoted from chief of staff to interim director.”
- “He does not have any prior emergency management experience.”
- “Maul’s LinkedIn page also shows he worked for one year at Mattress Town of Gainesville before graduating from law school.”
- “Maul, who graduated from the University of Florida School of Law in 2013, worked as a travel aide in the governor’s 2014 reelection campaign, and the state Division of Elections shows he was paid more than $84,000 by the party and the governor’s campaign. According to Maul’s application for work in the governor’s office, he then came to work performing similar duties with the title “special assistant to the governor.”
Read the full article here.