We know one GOP Senate candidate who’s saying TGIF today. Matt Rosendale has been on the ballot in Montana less than ten days — and he’s managed to rack up dozens of bad headlines that have tarnished his nascent general election campaign.
First, Rosendale barely escaped a nasty primary that branded him as an out of state carpetbagger and fake rancher:
- Missoula Current: Fagg: Rosendale is “all hat and no cattle”
- AP: Rosendale not the “first choice” for Republicans
- Vox: “Rosendale lacks something important that can’t be bought: He isn’t originally from Montana.”
- Washington Post: “GOP operatives fear the Maryland-born Rosendale could be vulnerable to charges that he is not Montanan enough.”
- Politico: “Rosendale moved to Montana in 2002 and still speaks with an accent from his native Maryland.”
Then, Rosendale backed out of a scheduled debate with Sen. Jon Tester in Whitefish, when a week earlier he had promised to attend:
- MTN News: “GOP nominee Rosendale backs out of first scheduled debate with Sen. Tester”
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle: “Rosendale backs out of first U.S. Senate debate”
- Billings Gazette: “Undebatable: Rosendale declines Tester face off, cites Father’s Day plans”
- Missoula Current: “Cancellation or confusion, Rosendale backs out of Whitefish debate with Tester”
- Associated Press: “Rosendale Won’t Debate Tester Sunday, Cites Father’s Day”
- MTPR: “Rosendale Won’t Debate Tester Sunday, Cites Father’s Day”
- Great Falls Tribune: “When will Senate candidates face off? It’s debatable”
- The Montana Post: “#RosendaleResigns…From Scheduled Debate”
- NBC Montana: “Just last week, Rosendale told us he would definitely make the broadcasters debate…’You’ll see me in Whitefish.’”
- Great Falls Tribune: Rosendale also refused to debate his opponent in the 2016 auditor’s race.
…Only to hop a flight to Washington for fundraisers with DC lobbyists:
- AP: “Rosendale Heads to Washington for Meetings, Fundraiser”
- Missoula Independent: “After bailing on the debate, Rosendale promptly headed to Washington, D.C., to spend time with his … donors.”
…Where we caught up with him to ask a few questions about his record of lies. Spoiler alert: he didn’t answer a single one.