Today, a new report from the Detroit Metro Times details a secret recording captured by American Bridge 21st Century that shows GOP Michigan gubernatorial candidate James Craig saying as governor he would block any attempt by Democrats to repeal Michigan’s 90-year-old ban on abortion.
Craig — whose campaign announcement was broken up last week by activists opposing his extreme far-right agenda — was recorded at a campaign event last Thursday saying he will “do whatever I can” to uphold the state’s unpopular complete ban on abortion.
Craig’s comments come after Texas Republican leaders, backed by the Supreme Court’s 5-4 midnight decision, created a blueprint for governors in other states to effectively overturn Roe v Wade.
By: Steve Neavling | September 21, 2021
- “Republican gubernatorial candidate James Craig said if elected he would block any attempt by Democrats to repeal Michigan’s 90-year-old ban on abortion, according to a secret audio recording obtained by Metro Times.”
- “Democrats, including Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, are calling on lawmakers to repeal the ban in case Roe v. Wade is overturned. In February, state Sen. Erika Geiss, D-Taylor, introduced a bill to repeal the abortion ban in Michigan.”
- “In the recording, which was obtained and provided by American Bridge 21st Century, a liberal political action committee that conducts opposition research on Republicans, Craig is asked if he would stop Democrats ‘from undoing the law that makes abortion illegal in Michigan.’”
- “Abortion-rights advocates say Craig’s support for a complete ban on abortion is unpopular and would turn back the clock on women’s rights.”
- “If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade and Michigan’s law ban goes back into effect, women could be imprisoned for terminating their pregnancy, abortion-rights advocates point out.”
Read the full report here.