Try as he might, Donald Trump can’t gloss over his decades-long record of sexually harassing and assaulting women.
“Uh, I can’t say that,” Trump said in 1993, when asked if he treats women with respect. A surprising moment of candor from the serial liar that the Republican Party selected as its presidential nominee.
But then again, as America (re)learned last week, Donald Trump is happy to share his enthusiasm for and history of harassing, demeaning, and abusing women: “[W]hen you’re a star, they let you do it…You can do anything,” Trump bragged in 2005, adding, “Grab them by the p—y.”
Donald Trump is an abusive bully who brags about sexually assaulting women, thinks a working woman is a “dangerous thing,” and takes pride in demeaning women as “slobs,” “pigs,” and “disgusting animals.”
The Republican Party created and nurtured Trump, and now it must own up to the reality that his erratic temperament and flagrant disrespect for women make him fundamentally unfit to be commander in chief.
Trump’s record of misogyny goes well beyond the 2005 audio of him bragging about sexually assaulting women:
- Trump’s said he thinks a working wife is a “very dangerous thing.”
- Trump’s warned he “go[es] through the roof,” if he gets home and dinner isn’t ready.
- Trump publicly attacked an attorney as “disgusting” for pumping breast milk to feed her child.
- Trump said a “pregnancy…is certainly an inconvenience…for a person that is running a business,” even if it’s “a wonderful thing for the woman.”
- Trump’s lamented that “women get it better” than men.
- Trump said “maybe [recent mothers] should feel” pressured to return to work quickly after a pregnancy.
- Trump’s insisted that “it really doesn’t matter what [the media] write as long as “you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”
- Trump’s insulted women by calling them “bimbos,” “dogs,” and “fat pigs,” “slobs,” and “disgusting animals.”
- Trump’s gone after a litany of women for being “fat”, including Kim Kardashian.
- Trump effectively blamed sexual assaults in the military on the women.
- Trump’s advised a friend that “you have to treat [women] like shit.”
- Trump and his campaign publicly defamed a woman journalist and accused her of lying after she was assaulted by his campaign manager.
- Trump once called a former Miss Universe winner “Miss Piggy” and an “eating machine” because she gained weight after the competition; even worse, he made her publicly work out in front of “dozens of media outlets.”