American Bridge 21st Century released the following statement on Herschel Walker winning today’s Georgia Republican U.S. Senate primary, after failing to hold public interviews and events and lying to voters on the campaign trail.
“Herschel Walker has repeatedly proven he cannot be trusted to put Georgians first in the Senate, from opposing plans to lower costs for families and backing a total abortion ban, to his repeated lies and failure to be honest with voters,” said American Bridge 21st Century spokesperson Aidan Johnson.
In the nine months since he’s started his campaign, Walker has repeatedly been caught lying, raising serious questions about his lack of integrity and failure to be honest with Georgia voters:
- Lied about his veterans “charity” work for which he was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by a predatory for-profit program that allegedly took advantage of veterans:
- Walker has falsely taken “credit for founding, co-founding and sometimes operating” a for-profit program called Patriot Support. But, in reality, Walker was “a celebrity spokesman who overstated his role in a for-profit program that is alleged to have preyed upon veterans and service members while defrauding the government.”
- Lied about his income and violated federal ethics law:
- Walker “neglected to report nearly $3.2 million in earnings in a federal financial disclosure,” violating federal ethics and disclosure rules.
- Lied about and inflated his business record:
- Walker falsely claimed to own companies that “don’t exist.”
- Walker falsely exaggerated the number of employees at his company.
- Despite his repeated claims of being a successful businessman, Walker is tangled up in “a string of defaults, settlements, and lawsuits alleging that Walker and his businesses owed millions of dollars in unpaid loans.”
- Walker lied about repaying a loan for his pizza business.
- Lied about spreading misinformation about the 2020 election and downplayed Jan. 6 violence:
- Lied about health products:
- Herschel Walker “spent years promoting and developing health-conscious products with dubious benefits and a skepticism from the medical community” — many of which were “commercial failures, cost Walker and his business partners millions of dollars[,] and put his companies into deep debt.”
- Lied about his academic accomplishments:
- Walker has overstated “his academic achievements for years,” repeatedly lying that he was high school valedictorian and falsely claiming that he graduated from the University of Georgia at the top 1% of his class.
- Lied about COVID and the safe and effective vaccines:
- Lied about and exaggerated his role in the Trump administration:
And when it comes to the issues, Walker has likewise shown he can’t be trusted to put Georgia families and workers first:
- Opposes the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and its $11 billion for Peach State jobs, workers, and communities:
- On multiple occasions, Herschel Walker has slammed the bipartisan jobs and infrastructure law, despite the fact that it’s creating jobs, rebuilding roads and bridges, securing safer drinking water, and expanding and improving high-speed internet in Georgia communities.
- Walker has even claimed it’s “totally unfair” to ask him about his opposition to the law.
- Supports repealing the ACA which would let insurance companies charge higher premiums to older Americans and people with pre-existing conditions:
- Walker has “criticized the [Affordable Care Act] over the years” and, along with the rest of the GOP primary field indicated he supports repealing the law that ensures pre-existing condition coverage protections that benefit millions of Americans.
- Opposed COVID recovery relief for families and businesses:
- Walker has refused to back a law that cut taxes for families, secured critical support for families and small businesses, and funded COVID vaccine production and distribution.
- Supports totally outlawing abortion — without any exceptions:
- Walker has repeatedly said that he supports totally outlawing abortion without any exceptions — not even in cases of rape or incest or if the life of the mother is at risk.
- Walker has also indicated he’d support such an abortion ban at the federal level, saying he will “vote for any legislation […] even if the legislation is not perfect.”
- Opposes marriage equality — and says he’d support letting states ban LGBTQ individuals from getting married.
- Opposes making multimillionaires and billionaires pay their fair share in tax:
- Walker, who made $4.1 million from late 2020-2021, has said making the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share is “not right.”
- Lacks basic understanding of foreign policy:
- Walker falsely suggested that NATO isn’t “involved” in Ukraine, incorrectly asserting that it wasn’t working to deter Russia’s invasion.
But don’t just take it from us — even Walker’s fellow Georgia Republicans say he is untrustworthy:
- Gary Black has already ruled out general election support for Herschel Walker saying that he “hasn’t earned my vote.”
- Kelvin King has said Walker “embarrasses himself” when answering “basic, straightforward policy questions.”
- Latham Saddler attacked Walker for refusing to “really get out and talk much about” his policies.
- King slammed Walker, calling into question his “character and integrity,” saying he “has not shown he has a grasp of the issues, he is avoiding debates, and he’s misleading the public.”
- King said Walker was not “putting in the work that’s required to gain the trust and faith of the broader electorate…It doesn’t appear that he has a good grasp of the issues.“
- Black raised the concerns about Walker’s “really unintelligible remarks” and claimed “we have to let voters see” how little he knows about the issues that matter most.