According to a report yesterday from the Colorado Times Recorder, leading Colorado GOP U.S. Senate candidate Ron Hanks, in a YouTube video last month, said “the truth” is that climate change is not a “real issue” and is just “called weather.”
Hanks, a Qanon conspiracy theorist who attended the Jan. 6 insurrection and has called to “lock [..] up” Mitch McConnell and other critics of the violent attack, is currently the frontrunner in the contentious Republican primary. His denial of climate change disregards the destructive droughts and forest fires that have ravaged the Centennial State in recent years — leading to billions of dollars in damages.
Colorado Times Recorder: Leading Bennet Challenger Doesn’t Believe in Climate Change: ‘It’s Called Weather’
By: Sean Price | March 22, 2022
- “In a YouTube video released earlier this month, Colorado U.S. Senate candidate and state Rep. Ron Hanks (R-Cañon City) said he does not believe that climate change is a real issue.”
- “‘We’ve got to start marketing the truth,’ Hanks said. ‘I don’t want to sit here and pretend climate change is a real issue. It’s called weather. [applause] They have used it as a lever to control policy and to control conversation and we have got to push back.’”
- “Hanks continued his answer by saying climate change is a plot by China to prevent the U.S. from expanding domestic manufacturing.”
- “‘Their climate change concepts are also another line of effort from China,’ Hanks said. ‘Remember how I talked about getting manufacturing back into the United States? Well just like the green movement in Europe during the nuclear era of Reagan they have got us to shut down our power plants and coal plants early so we cannot manufacture in our country. And that is a serious effort from China to emasculate us.’”
- “Hanks is a QAnon and election-fraud conspiracy theorist. He attended the Capitol attack and crossed police barriers there. Last year, as a member of Colorado’s House of Representatives, Hanks made racist comments downplaying the Three/Fifths Compromise.”
- “So far this year, Hanks has won three different straw polls at Republican Senate candidate forums and debates across the state.”
- “Last week a bill sponsored by Hanks that would have limited early voting and the option to vote by mail in Colorado failed in committee.”
- “Despite what Hanks claims, climate change is a real issue and caused by humans, according to vast scientific consensus. Also, the titanic effect of climate change is causing environmental disasters, such as wildfire and drought, here in Colorado.”
Read the full report here.