Following Glenn Youngkin’s victory in the Virginia GOP’s gubernatorial primary, American Bridge 21st Century President Jessica Floyd released the following statement:
“Last year, Donald Trump lost Virginia by the largest margin of any presidential candidate in over 30 years. This year, the Republican Party of Virginia nominated the closest thing they could find to the former president: Glenn Youngkin. Like Trump, Youngkin’s top priority is pushing the Big Lie that the 2020 presidential election was stolen. His only major policy proposal is a task force to restrict voting rights and he even refuses to say whether or not he accepts Joe Biden as the legitimate president. American Bridge 21st Century looks forward to introducing the real Glenn Youngkin to voters and ensuring that he becomes the latest in more than a decade of statewide electoral defeats for Virginia Republicans.”
- Youngkin opposed the American Rescue Plan, which sent $1,400 checks to 7 million Virginians and expanded tax credits to 1.5 million residents. Further, the American Rescue Plan is sending $2 billion to Virginia schools, spends more than $800 million on childcare in the commonwealth, and provides $7 billion in funding to expand access to broadband.
- Youngkin called President Biden’s proposed investments in infrastructure, America’s workforce, and senior care “irresponsible.”
- A proponent of the Big Lie, which he views as a “top priority,” Youngkin’s only substantive policy proposal is a task force to investigate elections. He has repeatedlyrefusedto say whether or not he believes Joe Biden to be the legitimate President of the United States.
- When asked what legislation he’d support to combat gun violence, Youngkin responded: “I want to be clear: none.”
- Youngkin promised to fire Virginia’s Board of Education and vowed to “take back our school boards.”